22 Jul The center point of research studies is the body of data collected to answer the research question. These dat
The center point of research studies is the body of data collected to answer the research question. These data must be measured, which is the act of taking an abstract concept (e.g., depression, anger, etc.), sorting them out and quantifying them in some cohesive way in order to construct meaning—but how can you measure something that is not easily quantifiable?
Choosing an appropriate measurement tool requires consideration of a number of different issues including reliability, validity, appropriateness for use with a specific group or culture, availability, and potential cost. Sometimes, social workers will attempt to create their own set of questions to tap into or measure a concept. This may appear to be an easy thing to do; however, writing questions to measure a phenomenon is more challenging than it would seem. For example, how do we know it measures what we want it to measure? In the first discussion this week, you will have the opportunity to create your own questions to measure a phenomenon of your interest. In the second discussion, you will compare the measure you created with an existing instrument that measures the same phenomenon.
To prepare: Choose one phenomenon or issue that a client may be dealing with (for example, depression, anxiety, or family conflict). Consider how you would evaluate the client’s progress in this area. Create questions with response options that would capture this phenomenon or client issue.
By Day 3
- Identify the phenomenon you would measure and explain how you conceptualize this phenomenon.
- Provide at least 3 questions you would use to measure this phenomenon and explain how these questions operationalize the phenomenon.
- Define reliability in 2-3 sentences and give one example of how you would establish reliability for the questions you created.
- Define validity in 2-3 sentences and give one example of how you would establish validity for the questions you created.
- Create a measurement plan to assess the phenomenon.
- Describe the methodology you would use to collect data using your measurement tool (your method for acquiring this research data).
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of your choices.
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.